Sub City is starting their eleventh year of raising money for non-profit organizations. On January 8th, they will be releasing the 11th volume of the Take Action Compilation. Not long after that, on January 11th, the Take Action Tour will begin. The tour features headliner, The Used, and supporting acts We Came As Romans, Crown The Empire, and MindFlow. This year, the tour is benefiting the 'It Gets Better Project', an organization that helps give hope to LGBT youth who are being bullied.
The compilation album this year includes 38 songs from 38 artists. These artists hit everyone from AWOLNATION and 3OH!3, to All Time Low and The Summer Set, to We Came As Romans and Whitechapel. All of the songs are unique, but they still go together exceedingly well. The album is perfect for fans of Warped tour and, well, everyone else.
I was very happy with the first track, The Lonely by The Used. It's a well made song with good lyrics and a good message. I was also very happy with All Time Low's acoustic version of The Reckless & The Brave. It's a beautiful song, and making it acoustic took it to a whole new level. Another song I can't help listening to on repeat is The Scene Aesthetic - Carelessly (feat. Dresses). I expected to like those tracks though, since they're all by bands I've been a fan of for a while.
One song that surprised me (in a good way) was Enter Shikari - Warm Smiles Do Not Make You Welcome Here (Tek One Mix). Enter Shikari uses electronics a lot, so what surprised me wasn't the dubstep, but how much I ended up liking the song. I also loved William Beckett - 48 In A Hospital. I had never listened to him before, but I'll definitely be listening to him again.
Along with all the good songs, there were songs I wasn't so fond of too. I wasn't a fan of Whitechapel's song Animus. I listen to plenty of metal/deathcore, but this song just sounded like a bit of a mess to me. Maybe I'm missing the point, but I really didn't enjoy London Is Burning by Itch either.
All together, I think it's a wonderful album, not to mention it's for a great cause. I'll definitely be purchasing a copy on iTunes this Tuesday. I will also be attending the Indianapolis date of the Take Action tour on the 20th.
*denotes rare or unreleased
1. The Used – The Lonely*
2. We Came As Romans – Fair-weather*
3. AWOLNATION- Sail (Unlimited Gravity Remix)*
4. Bad Religion - Fuck You*
5. The Wonder Years - Local Man Ruins Everything (Nervous Energies)*
6. Mayday Parade - Oh Well, Oh Well (Acoustic)
7. Falling in Reverse – The Drug In Me Is You
8. Enter Shikari – Warm Smiles Do Not Make You Welcome Here (Tek One Mix)*
9. Whitechapel – Animus
10. Periphery – Far Out (Instrumental)*
11. Sleeping With Sirens - James Dean & Audrey Hepburn (Acoustic Version)
12. All Time Low – The Reckless & The Brave (Acoustic)*
13. Never Shout Never – Pray For Peace (Demo)*
14. 3OH!3 – You’re Gonna Love This (Wuki Remix)*
15. The Summer Set – Fuck U Over
16. Say Anything – Their Notions
1. Glass Cloud – Everybody Wants To Rule The World*
2. Ice Nine Kills – What I Never Learned in Study Hall (6 Feet Below)*
3. Memphis May Fire - Prove Me Right
4. Upon This Dawning – A New Beginning
5. Parkway Drive – Dark Days
6. SHARKS – Sea Of All Seas*
7. Balance & Composure – Quake
8. Silver Snakes – All My Eye*
9. Broadway Calls – Bring On The Storm*
10. We Are The Ocean – Machine
11. Transit - Skipping Stone (Alternate Version)
12. Seahaven - Understanding (Acoustic)*
13. Set It Off – Dream Catcher
14. I Am The Avalanche - I’ll Be Back Around
15. The Scene Aesthetic – Carelessly (feat. Dresses)*
16. Plug In Stereo – I Hope You Know (feat. Tay Jardine)*
17. William Beckett – 48 In A Hospital *
18. Itch – London Is Burning*
19. Twin Atlantic - Make A Beast Of Myself (Space Brother Remix)*
20. The Animal In Me – Speak*
21. Hell Or Highwater – Come Alive (Acoustic)*
22. Palisades – Bury It (Acoustic)*